Sunday, July 10, 2005

Mummies, and Pyramids and Curiosity

I went to Egypt last week for the first time. Inevitably, I guess, I made the rounds to the pyramids and the museum that houses statues, coffins and mummies.

Awe-inspiring.

But as I looked down at the mummies I couldn't help also thinking about what I and the people around me were doing. Basically we had come from all over the world to look at the dead body of a guy who died 3000 or so years ago. Why do we find that so fascinating?

The pharaoh looked like a regular guy. When he arranged for his burial in grand style, I'll bet he never thought that he would be dug out and put on display for a paying public in 3000 years time. Wonder how I'd feel if they dig up my bones in a 1000 years and put them in a museum.

Hmmm....the mummies are fascinating - but human curiosity is perhaps even more so.

No comments:

Post a Comment