Sunday, April 08, 2007

The problem with "Told-you-so"

Has it ever happened to you ? After holding a view for sometime and perhaps even publicly defending it, you gain more experience, learn something new, and decide to change your mind.


This is called growth and is generally a reason for celebration.


But this is where the “I-told-you-so” brigade kicks in. Rather than celebrating your growth and welcoming your change of heart, they are more intent in proving how “wrong” you were all along and how they were always “right”.


Sigh!!!!


So often, fear of this kind of reaction actually holds you back from changing your stance.


I have to admit that I have been guilty of this syndrome. And specially as a parent I’m very vulnerable to this. But I try to watch out for it, as the kids are inevitably going to going to go thru their own learning curves and all I can really do is to be supportive.

1 comment:

  1. Beela1:50 PM

    I want to write a response, but I do not know what to say !!!! I feel rather slow and low . Enjoyed reading all three new entries.they all make sense.

    ReplyDelete