Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Cluttered Desktop

I'm staring at my laptop screen.

It's a mishmash of files, shortcuts, icons. Some represent work I'm doing today - others are in anticipation of upcoming projects, yet more are from past work - now done but still kept around in case I need it again.

I'm thinking I should clean it up.

But you know, I've been cleaning it up for nearly 16 years now (before there were desktops, there were still desks full of paper).

And the blunt reality hits me - the desktop will remain cluttered forever.

Every time I fight back and clear it, there will be more things to replace the clutter. One more project, another quarter, another review, just a little more - and then some more.

I'll never escape. There is no escape.

I don't know whether that should make me happy or sad. But you know, I really don't have time to figure it out. My phone is ringing, the email is coming in, more icons are appearing on the desktop. I'm falling behind again - gotta catchup, gotta go.

1 comment:

  1. After a month or two, drag all your desktop icons into a folder and name that folder with a date you made it (22oct08_22oct08) and later date should be replaced when ever you have to access that folder; like one month from now you have to revist today's created folder the name should be changed to (22oct08_22nov08). Soon you will realize that 90% of the time you never go back to your folders. plus you will ve a very neat appearing desktop as well.

    ReplyDelete