Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The difference between the head and the heart

Ask me for half a glass of water - and you will get exactly half a glass of water. No more no less.

Ask my wife for half a glass of water, and you will probably get three quarters; you might also get the offer of a soda and perhaps some cookies on the side.

You see, I tend to think that when people ask for something, they know what they want. She knows that they don't - and she's right.

She knows that they might want something different and are just being polite. She uses her heart instead of her head and makes adjustments accordingly. Guess who's better at putting people at ease and making them feel welcome ?!

And that's the difference between the head and the heart. I'm a head person, but over the course of a long marriage, I've learned to use my heart a little more - but I still have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment