Friday, December 04, 2009

The harder the better

Generally speaking, it is harder to start things than to finish them.

Starting stuff is fun and exciting. You tend to do the easy stuff first - the stuff that you enjoy - and work  seems to clip along in a blaze. But then you reach a point where all the easy stuff is done and what you are left with are the harder bits. Now it starts to look more like work than play, you make more mistakes, you have to retrace your steps as you try to get things right.

That's a good sign. The harder the better.

Because the harder bits are.....well.....harder, many will give up at that point and decide to move on to the next thing. If you can just keep going past this point a bit longer, you suddenly find yourself in a field all by yourself. This is freedom, this is where you can stand out and create the rules rather than following them, this is where greatness happens.

I was thinking of this as I was working on my weekend coding project. I love coding as much as I love writing, but every project I have ever done gets to a point where things get difficult, where I have to force myself to keep going. It is the same with writing. Casually starting a piece of writing is fun (for me at least) - the first draft on a topic I care about will usually come in minutes. But if I really want it to shine, I know I will have to vet my initial draft. I'll have to read it, re-read, and then read again till I'm satisfied.

Pushing through this hard part can be tough. But here's the thing: as soon as it starts becoming hard, you know you are on to something special - something that has a chance to stand out and look beautiful.

The harder, the better.

1 comment:

  1. Hamza M3:34 AM

    I agree, things do tend to get easy after a while and hence the phenomena of the Learning Curve. But more importantly, doing more/different after getting what you have been doing for so long so well, is Scary if not tough. Honestly the moment something unfamiliar comes up, the first reaction is usually fear versus "OMG more work"...

    Still I agree, the difference between greatness and mediocrity is the extra mile one takes.

    ReplyDelete