Friday, April 12, 2013

Of Guitars and swollen fingers

So for the second time, I've ended up purchasing an acoustic guitar.

The first one was a few years ago and broke mysteriously after just a few weeks, when I was just trying to get started. I'm hoping for better luck this time.

But as you try to pick something new and unfamiliar, a few things become immediately obvious.

First, nothing really good is ever easy. The more beautiful something looks, the harder someone must have worked to make it that way. Judging by the pain in my fingers after just a little bit of practice, if I'm going to learn to play the guitar it is going to be a long and tough effort.

Second, stepping outside the comfort zone of the things I'm generally good at is a reminder of how much I don't know. Wrapped up in my daily routine, doing the same things over and over, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that I have mastered it all. It is good to feel like a complete amateur at something new and contemplate the magnitude of my ignorance when compared against the vast possibilities that lay unexplored.

No comments:

Post a Comment